Located between the Penobscot, Wilkes-Barre, and Nescopeck Mountains of northeastern Pennsylvania at the headwaters of the Wapwallopen Creek, Mountain Top consists of Wright, Fairview, Dorrance, Slocum, and Rice Townships as well as Nuangola Borough. Settlers entering its rugged forests in the 18th century established lumber camps, sawmills, and farms. Blacksmith shops and taverns opened near rural crossroads at Dorrance, Slocum, and Albert's Corners. During the 19th century, transportation networks moving anthracite from nearby mines to distant markets traversed the region. The neighborhoods of Solomon's Gap and Penobscot grew along with the Lehigh a Susquehanna, Lehigh Valley, and New Jersey Central Railroads, while resorts at Glen Summit and Lake Nuangola attracted seasonal visitors. Access to Mountain Top by motor vehicle improved throughout the 20th century. The construction of Route 309 and Interstates 80 and 81 paved the way for commercial and residential development, including the Crestwood Industrial Park. Today, Mountain Top is a growing suburban community of nearly 17, 000 people who enjoy and support its parks, churches, businesses, and schools.In 1952, the Crestwood Industrial Park was established in Mountain Top. The Foster Wheeler Corporation located there in 1953, followed by King Fifth Wheel in 1954, Eberhard Faber in 1956, the Radio Corporation of America in 1959, Fibrousanbsp;...
|Author||:||Joseph Kubic, Darlene Miller-Lanning, Mountain Top Historical Society|
|Publisher||:||Arcadia Publishing - 2012|