Fort Steele began in 1864 as the site of John Galbraith's ferry, which transported eager gold seekers across the Kootenay River to nearby Wild Horse Creek. Major Sam Steele's qDq Division of the North West Mounted Police built Kootenay Post here in 1887 and helped alleviate tensions between white settlers and the Native Ktunaxa people. With all disputes settled peacefully and Steele recalled to Alberta to take on a new challenge, the appreciative residents renamed the town in 1888 to honour the highly regarded Mountie. As more settlers came, trails became roads. In summer, riverboats ran north and south to link with railways. Government offices made Fort Steele the administrative centre for East Kootenay. A bustling business community developed, and a newspaper was born. A school, three churches, an Opera House, and a hospital soon followed. Fort Steele boomed until the BC Southern Railway bypassed it. Naomi Miller, a local resident and interpreter at Fort Steele Heritage Town, provides many insights into the lives of the citizens of the town and district.... Balfour 221 Fletcher, Miss 183 Flowers, Tom 90 Folsom, Miss 204 Ford Motor Company 220 Forget, A.K. 108 Forsyth, ... Mining Division 155 Fort Steele municipal incorporation 145 Fort Steele Orchestra 1 77 Fort Steele School 95, 97, 98, 140, 160, ... 206, 213 Harwood, Mrs. 183 Haynes, John 1 4 Hazel Street 186 Headman Pielle 107 Hearle, Miss 1 81 Henderson, ... Mrs. 182 Highwardena#39;s Barber Shop 123 Hislop, Mr. 202 Hoffman, Reverend 215 Home and Farm Manual 235 Index.
|Publisher||:||Heritage House Publishing Co - 2002|