The 1/4-ton, 4x4, truck of World War Two started out in the hands of the Infantry and a little company called American Bantam Car Company. Bantam worked with the Army's Quartermaster Corps to produce the pilot model that was accepted and then fulfilled their initial contract for 70 trucks. During testing of the pilot both Ford and Willys-Overland were invited to check out this new vehicle. The vehicles were studied in great detail. Soon, at their own expense, Ford and Willys-Overland submitted pilots for testing too. This book covers the production prototypes--Bantam BRC-40, Ford GP and the Willys MA.Procurement of 500 from each of Bantam Company, Ford Motor Company, and Willys-Overland Company, in addition to the 70 already authorized, recommended. ... October 29, 1940, The Adjutant General approved standardization and directed procurement of 1500 from Bantam ... Infantry School were sent to the Bantam plant to learn special maintenance of this vehicle for timely instruction to students.
|Title||:||Bantam, Ford and Willys-1/4-Ton Reconnaissance Cars|
|Publisher||:||Lulu.com - 2006-07-01|